[SATLUG] Software RAID suggestions

Borries Demeler demeler at biochem.uthscsa.edu
Mon Feb 22 07:39:10 CST 2010

My experiences with software RAID5 (especially on promise cards) has been bad.
When I used it and a drive went bad I was not able to rebuild the array and
I recall that I had some data loss. Therefore I have not used it anylonger.
However, RAID0 works fine, but it is not the safest way to keep your data.
It gives good I/O performance with maximum disk space, but is not redundant.
RAID0 with mirroring is probably the best I can recommend under Linux software RAID.
I'd stay away from RAID5 and get a decent RAID hardware solution for that.
-b.