[SATLUG] Software RAID suggestions

kcoriginal at yahoo.com kcoriginal at yahoo.com
Mon Feb 22 08:12:13 CST 2010

I have had enormous success over the years, with eBay acquired, hp/Compaq hardware RAID cards. Truly enterprise-grade, real, honest hardware RAID cards, for a lot cheaper than you'd think. You can find Ultra 160s and SATA 150s, all day long, for less than $50. Those controllers will handle the newer, faster drives flawlessly; and you get solid RAID peace-of-mind.

And, if you want the latest speeds, the Ultra 320s and SATA 300s aren't much over $100, and frequently dip WELL below that figure. Thanks to SAS technology pushing down the prices, these real solutions are available to the rest of us.

I have found those cards rebuild near-automatically, completely OS independent.

I have an hp P400 I picked up for $125, shipped - 8 - SATA 300s.

kc
Sent via BlackBerry by AT&T