[SATLUG] Software RAID suggestions

Stewart Smith tuupes80 at hotmail.com
Mon Feb 22 11:49:24 CST 2010

The HP raid cards also have either battery back up or in the newest ones flash memory.  The battery/flash holds any unposted information.  You should be able to move that raid card out of a failed computer and onto another one and have it complete the last write.  While this has been a feature for years, I haven't heard of anyone actually doing this.
Software disk mirroring has been a part of the HP suite of high availability software for around 15 years now on the enterprise class UNIX systems.  The idea here is to eliminate any single point of failure.  If you use software raid, and you want to keep the system up, no matter what, mirror across two controllers if you can.
Stewart