[SATLUG] Software RAID suggestions

David Kowis dkowis at shlrm.org
Tue Feb 23 07:21:30 CST 2010

On 2/22/2010 7:39 AM, Borries Demeler wrote:
> My experiences with software RAID5 (especially on promise cards) has been bad.
> When I used it and a drive went bad I was not able to rebuild the array and
> I recall that I had some data loss. Therefore I have not used it anylonger.
> However, RAID0 works fine, but it is not the safest way to keep your data.
> It gives good I/O performance with maximum disk space, but is not redundant.
> RAID0 with mirroring is probably the best I can recommend under Linux software RAID.
> I'd stay away from RAID5 and get a decent RAID hardware solution for that.
> -b.

My server runs software RAID5 through mdadm. Not using any fancy
controller cards or anything, just the onboard sata controller and a
5-bay hotswap thing so I can easily replace one if it goes away.

The RAID5 checksum calculation hasn't seemed to bog down the system or
anything like that. And I haven't had any problems with the disks or
anything yet, so I don't know how well it'll survive a failure, I guess
I could simulate one by yanking the disk out.

David