[SATLUG] CD Playing Order

John D Choate jdchoate at gmail.com
Wed Feb 24 15:03:00 CST 2010

On Wednesday 24 February 2010 10:22:02 Arthur Hall wrote:
> Need some help with a puzzling situation.  I've installed Ubuntu 9.04 on two PCs for refugee families.  The sound system works fine (for a change), but when I insert a music CD using VLC it wants to play tracks in this order: 10, 11, 12, etc. to 19.  Then it plays 1, 20, 21, etc.   Does anyone know of a simple way to get it to play in "normal" order?  Thanks.
> Art

Is this a commercial CD, or a home-burned one? If it is a compilation or re-burn from downloaded or ripped tracks, then the tracks will need their ID3 tags or file names modified. The meta tags contain track name and number information which will override the filenames when played.
What may be happening is that in the file names and/or meta tags, the tracks are numbered 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11, etc. That should be changed to be 01,02,03,04, etc. Include that '0' in the first nine tracks and they should then all play before number 10.
So even if you have the track names starting with "01 - name", "02 - name" etcetera, they will play out of order if the meta tags have different, or no, track numbering.
Look for an ID3 tag editor for your system to accomplish this. For KDE, 'kid3' does a nice job. I have no idea about for Gnome though.

John C.