[SATLUG] Odd behavior with sed and $

Daniel Givens daniel at rugmonster.org
Thu Feb 25 11:43:45 CST 2010

On Feb 24, 2010, at 6:20 PM, Bruce Dubbs wrote:

> Don Davis wrote:
>
>> Using cat -v I see ^M at the end of the line. What is ^M in hat notation? (Where do I find this?)

<snip>

> Some distros have a program, dos2unix, that does the same thing.

If you happen to be interacting with Windows users and need to give them logs or some other plain text formatted file, it's very kind to run the file through unix2dos before giving it to them. And dos2unix is the easiest (less typing/room for error) way to get rid of those characters.

I happen to deal with both scenarios quite frequently.