[SATLUG] Disk Imaging Software

Jeremy Mann jeremymann at gmail.com
Thu Feb 25 18:31:19 CST 2010

On Thu, Feb 25, 2010 at 2:44 PM, Marker, Robert
<rmarker at encoresupportsystems.com> wrote:
> I am looking for OSS to create/recover disaster recovery images of a
> number of desktops. Unfortunately this requirement is immersed in a
> total WinDoz environment but I want to use a Linux based boot CD
> application to create/recover the images via a 1TB USB external drive.
> The idea is to be able to replace a failed HDD and have a user back on
> line without the pain of rebuild. Everything I have research thus far
> wants to run on the desktop and has enough unnecessary features to choke
> a horse. I figure after several hours of search I would ask the experts
> for a recommendation.

Robert, my personal favorite is partimage/partimaged. I use it
extensively on our departmental loaner laptops. It comes on the
SystemRescueCD (which is by far my favorite rescue CD). I don't know
if it can work with an external drive, but I use it in server mode. I
keep the partimaged daemon running on our main server (this holds the
disk image files). When I need to reimage a laptop, I boot
SystemRescueCD, start partimage and tell it where my server is and
image name. Using the network I'm able to reimage a 40GB laptop in
under 15 minutes.

--
Jeremy Mann
jeremy at biochem.uthscsa.edu