[SATLUG] Ubuntu 'Karmic Koala' 9.10 impressions?

Bruce Dubbs bruce.dubbs at gmail.com
Fri Jan 1 18:01:13 CST 2010

Justin wrote:

> 5.  Long boot time.  After ubuntu is selected from grub, it seems like my
> system just sits there and does nothing but flash the _ cursor for 30-45
> seconds.  Maybe that part is normal?  After the ubuntu logo shows the system
> is all booted up and useable within 30 seconds.  When I select Windows from
> grub, it goes to my windows os selection screen within a second or two, then
> I pick xp and the xp loading screen pops up within a few more seconds.  Then
> after about 20 more seconds xp is booted up.  Just another 45 second wait
> for all those little stupid programs each piece of hardware seems to require
> to run, and then the system is useable.

I think that's a GRUB2 problem.  Take a look at /boot/grub/grub.cfg.
I'll bet it has a section like:

menuentry "GNU/Linux, Linux 2.6.28-11-server" {
         insmod ext2
         set root=(hd0,1)
         search --no-floppy --fs-uuid --set
6b4c0339-5501-4a85-8351-e398e5252be8
         linux   /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.28-11-server
root=UUID=6b4c0339-5501-4a85-8351-e398e5252be8 ro
         initrd  /boot/initrd.img-2.6.28-11-server
}

(note lines warpped above).

What I think it is doing is searching a lot of usb devices (many that
don't exist) for the UUID.  Here is what you can try:

Change the comment out the search line and make it look like:

menuentry "GNU/Linux, Linux 2.6.28-11-server" {
         insmod ext2
         set root=(hd0,1)
         #search --no-floppy --fs-uuid --set
6b4c0339-5501-4a85-8351-e398e5252be8
         linux   /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.28-11-server root=/dev/sda2 ro
         initrd  /boot/initrd.img-2.6.28-11-server
}

Change sda2 to your actual root partition.  Use everything else as it it
is on your system.

   -- Bruce