[SATLUG] Ubuntu 'Karmic Koala' 9.10 impressions?

Miguel Guhlin mguhlin at gmail.com
Sat Jan 2 10:12:21 CST 2010

PlayonLinux reminds me a little of WINE-Doors (I haven't compared the apps
list but it's pretty similar as I recall). Cedega (which I paid for awhile
back) is nice and has a lot more apps to install. Since I'm running
PlayonLinux on a netbook, I'm not going to take full advantage of
everything.

I did notice on my second install that IE6 in PlayOnLinux is the same as the
ie4linux (you know, the funky icon):
http://www.edsupport.cc/mguhlin/blog/archives/2006/09/entry_2117.htm

PlayonLinux is a simple interface and I had a new GNU/Linux user installing
it herself and installing IE...so, pretty easy.

As to CrossOver, it's been a few years since I've seen it, but it's main
advantage is being able to install apps from your original install media.
PlayonLinux offers the same and claims it can use
(WineBooster,WineMaster,WineConfig). Whether it works or not, I'm not sure.

Again, I'm only going to use PlayonLinux on a netbook for specific apps
(1-2) that I can't find equivalents for on UbuntuLinux. If I had a machine
with more processor power, RAM, I'd explore more aggressively!

Take care,

Miguel Guhlin
Phone: 210-617-3330
Email - mguhlin at gmail.com