[SATLUG] Re: Ubuntu 'Karmic Koala' 9.10 impressions? ... andIntroduction

kcoriginal at yahoo.com kcoriginal at yahoo.com
Sat Jan 2 12:16:23 CST 2010

Hi David,

I'm still pretty new myself, as I've been lurking for a year or so and not going to the meetings!

Ubuntu

1. I totally agree with you on the .10 releases. That's the best way I've heard it put, yet. Beta.

2. I couldn't disagree with you more on Ubuntu, overall... Look man, I hated it in the beginning just because the name is stupid... But... Linux is such a challenge in the beginning just to gain traction on. It changes so fast... It's VERY different from the DOS/Windows environment. I goofed around in Linux, pretending that if I went slow and methodical and determined that I could somehow catch up to all those Super-Nerd-Cool kernel hackers and mad script crafters. As if they didn't already have Master's Degrees in Low-Level Code-ology and years of background experience... Then, one day, I woke up and realized that I had been PIDDLING in Linux for nigh on 10 years and I really had nothing to show for it! That's when I found Fedora and allowed myself to like a finished distro, and stop worrying about how we got there. As if I was going to master all those steps in between that millions had struggled with!? After a while with Fedora, I learned to appreciate skipping ahead to a polished and pre-working Linux desktop. I finally took it one step further, during Ubuntu 8.04, and went with the most highly skipped-ahead distro ever conceived, Ubuntu.

Sometimes, I DO feel like I cheated. BUT, come on... We are all intelligent enough to know that we are better off getting things sorted out on a box where 99% of it just works... So we can concetrate on hashing out the dark Linux details of whatever one specific cool topic we are obsessed with today.

Ubuntu - cruddy name, game-changing Linux experience.

kc