[SATLUG] Re: Ubuntu 'Karmic Koala' 9.10 impressions? ... and Introduction

Daniel J. Givens daniel at rugmonster.org
Sat Jan 2 13:20:18 CST 2010

On 1/1/2010 8:43 PM, David Hayden wrote:
>    Hello everyone. I'm pretty new to satlug and relatively new to linux I suppose. I been subscribed to the mailing list for a couple months but this'll be my first post. I had to get in on all this ubuntu 9.10 love goin' around.
>
>    I'm a dissenting voice here. I started using linux with 8.04 which I stuck with through to 9.04. I was dissatisfied with the 8.10 release for the same reasons I'm disappointed with the 9.10 release and it's because they both feel like beta releases.
>
>    I'm a slacker myself but I use ubuntu for my family and I wouldn't dream of upgrading their machines as it would certainly just break things.
>
>    That's just my two cents. Ubuntu bugs me in general. It doesn't always obey stuff I tell it to do.

I have had issues with 9.10. I had been running it on my MSI Wind U100
netbook. 9.04 ran acceptably, but since upgrading, the system became
almost painfully slow with and without the accelerated desktop effects
enabled. Also, after upgrading to 9.10, I lost the ability to adjust the
screen brightness. To be fair, the same thing happens in Fedora 12 and
seems to be more of an issue with the Gnome Power Manager.

At this point, I've switched to Debian testing with a very slimmed down
environment. Slim instead of GDM, xmonad for my window manager + xmobar
& trayer. I'm using Claws Mail instead of Thunderbird or Evolution so
the slowest thing I'm running is firefox now. There are some things that
aren't quite as seamless, such as having to unlock the gnome keyring for
NetworkManager when I log in, but that's only minor and I can live with it.