[SATLUG] (no subject)

David Hayden indubitableness at yahoo.com
Sat Jan 2 19:27:45 CST 2010

> What's the Spiderman quote? 'With great power comes great responsibility.'
> There are systems that have fine grained control but that puts a lot of
> responsibility on the user e.g. the default Slackware install requires
> much more input and knowledge from the user.
>
> I am curious -- what do you mean 'it doesn't always obey stuff I tell it
> to do'?

  I made a few cron entries recently that were just completely ignored. I also had some trouble with limiting user account access. Stuff that I'm used to just working right away in slackware.

 Then there's this ssh thing. I always make keys and turn off passwords in my /etc/sshd_config so that only my laptop can ssh into any of the household systems. Sometimes ubuntu still prompts for passwords and allows a log in via ssh. Today I noticed it was working correctly but so far it's the first time ssh seems to obey the rules for this particular install.

  My personal boxes are Slackware and I just can't imagine any other distro appealing to me at this point. I'm far too comfortable with the Slackware way. For the mom, sister, and brother though it's got to be Ubuntu. They get windows dual boots but I discourage their use unless necessary.

  I'm rambling now and I'm beginning to lose any real point. I'll leave off with this. They say that if you give a man ubuntu he learns ubuntu and if you give him Redhat he learns redhat, but should you give him slackware, he will learn Linux.

  It's my absolute favorite and I heartily endorse it.