[SATLUG] (no subject)

Don Davis dondavis at reglue.org
Sat Jan 2 20:02:30 CST 2010

> Then there's this ssh thing. I always make keys and turn off
> passwords in my /etc/sshd_config so that only my laptop can ssh into
> any of the household systems. Sometimes ubuntu still prompts for
> passwords and allows a log in via ssh. Today I noticed it was working
> correctly but so far it's the first time ssh seems to obey the rules
> for this particular install.
Wow. I haven't done much with Ubuntu. I'm always tempted to try it in a
chroot, but the sound never works. Those ssh problems are serious show
stoppers. I installed Ubuntu Karmic Koala on vbox. Editing the
sshd_config file and restarting /etc/init.d/ssh worked fine to disable
password logins. (Though using vbox I was only able to ssh in via ipv6
from the same box -- using a different box I was able to ssh in via ipv4.)

I installed Debian for my mother and nieces and nephews. They don't even
notice the difference.