[SATLUG] (no subject)

KC kcoriginal at yahoo.com
Sun Jan 3 01:23:36 CST 2010

Geez David,

I almost feel set-up and knocked down... Blind-sided... If you're a Slacker than why even bother with Ubuntu? Slack is universally known to have a higher learning curve than average. And thusly, Slackers are typically much more adept at the intricacies of the Linux OS and the scripts and configs that give a distro it's personality. Me, after a while, I decided that I was more interested in going ahead and getting some useful work out of Linux. When I picked up Fedora, I got my Mail and Web serving config-ed, and my DNS going. In like, less than a month... after years of piddling...!

Lemme see... Oh, yeah! I picked up Ubuntu after just randomly checking it out one day. It ran flawlessly on my company Dell D620 and D630 laptops. All drivers installed fine with no fuss. Compiz worked out of the box. The AT&T wirless USB GSM card worked for Pete's sake. THAT'S what hooked me! Those kinds of details...

I still run my servers from Gnome-less (gui-less) 8.04 server installs and a token CentOS 5.x machine runs my Scalix box, but why drag myself through the mud with the OS when I can "wrassle" with cooler stuff like that Cloud topic someone started a few days ago?

That and, are you sure you don't like Ubuntu specifically or is it Debian-based distros in general that are not familiar to you? I must say, I hung on to Red Hat for the longest time since they had that whopping 85%+ market share in the early last decade, but those days are done and figuring out Apache and Sendmail and BIND are more interesting than "where is the network config script kept in this distro...?"

updatedb

slocate

done.

kc