[SATLUG] re: no subject heh

David Hayden indubitableness at yahoo.com
Sun Jan 3 08:34:07 CST 2010

   Hey sorry about that No Subject title on my last post I'm still kind new to mailing lists. I wanted to address a couple people's responses.

> If you *really* want to learn Linux, use Linux From Scratch.  :)
>
>  -- Bruce

  Agreed, As for an excellent initial LFS building environment... Slackware anyone?

>  Not to knock your abilities, but are you sure you did it right? For
> example, if you don't use 'crontab -e' to modify a user's crontab, the
> change won't get picked up until cron is restarted. If you make a
> change in sshd_config, you have to restart sshd. I have never had the
> issues you're talking about and they don't make sense if you are doing
> it right.
>
>   And I have to disagree with the Slackware statement. Slackware
> definitely has its own way of doing things. Learning Linux is always
> learning the distro you're using unless you're doing everything from
> scratch. That's the nature of running a distro. The maintainer of the
> distro has done certain things to the way the packages fit their
> distro for consistency.

> --
> Daniel J. Givens

  With cron I was just learning how to configure it so I'm sure I just did something stupid like assume Ubuntu runs cron in it's default services. As for ssh. I've been using ssh for some time and I can assure you I'm familiar with the process of configuring it. Believe me I'm exactly aware of how little sense this problem makes.

  As for your sentiments about distros and their inherent uniqueness I can say I agree entirely. I would, however, choose to point out that it is precisely the slackware way that provides for the user to obtain such a fundamental education in the core aspects of the GNU/Linux Operating System. Everything I've learned on this distro with perhaps the exception of package management is applicable to every GNU/Linux, and many UNIX systems. It's an excellent distro for anyone wanting to learn the basics.

> Geez David,
>
>  I almost feel set-up and knocked down...
Blind-sided... If you're a Slacker than why >even bother with Ubuntu?
Slack is universally known to have a higher learning curve >than
average. And thusly, Slackers are typically much more adept at the
intricacies of >the Linux OS and the scripts and configs that give a
distro it's personality. Me, after a >while, I decided that I was more
interested in going ahead and getting some useful >work out of Linux.
When I picked up Fedora, I got my Mail and Web serving config-ed, >and
my DNS going. In like, less than a month... after years of piddling...!

>Lemme
see... Oh, yeah! I picked up Ubuntu after just randomly checking it out
one >day. It ran flawlessly on my company Dell D620 and D630 laptops.
All drivers >installed fine with no fuss. Compiz worked out of the box.
The AT&T wirless USB GSM >card worked for Pete's sake. THAT'S what
hooked me! Those kinds of details...

>I still run my servers from
Gnome-less (gui-less) 8.04 server installs and a token >CentOS 5.x
machine runs my Scalix box, but why drag myself through the mud with
>the OS when I can "wrassle" with cooler stuff like that Cloud topic
someone started a >few days ago?

>That and, are you sure you
don't like Ubuntu specifically or is it Debian-based distros >in general
that are not familiar to you? I must say, I hung on to Red Hat for the
longest >time since they had that whopping 85%+ market share in the
early last decade, but >those days are done and figuring out Apache and
Sendmail and BIND are more >interesting than "where is the network
config script kept in this distro...?"

> updatedb
>
> slocate
>

> done.
>

> kc

   Slow down man! You've read quite a lot into my comments so far. I've been a slacker for something like 9 months or more. My first experience with Linux was Ubuntu 8.04 and I've always been big fan. At no point did I intend to imply that I dislike Ubuntu. There are fiddly little things about it that bug me is all. "Why even bother with Ubuntu?" Well you have a point with this one, but as I mentioned when I introduced myself I use Ubuntu on the family's common computer. My brother also uses Ubuntu at his place so I have a fair deal of experience administrating Ubuntu boxes. It would be cruel of me to expect them to master Slackware.

  Straight Debian has never really thrilled me. It's a nice stable system but it's never really caught my eye. I'm a command line jockey and I try to keep my desktop lightweight and minimal. The distros that appeal to me most pretty much boil down to slackware, arch, and CLI installs of Ubuntu. I must say that I caught your implication that Slackware is somehow too difficult or too demanding to "Get some useful work done" as it were and I must protest. For me Slackware has been my most productive environment which is why I am so consistently drawn to it for all my personal computing needs. Perhaps you're thinking of Gentoo... Am I right? hah.

  My three most often used distros are Slackware, Ubuntu, and DSL in that order. That's all I need.