[SATLUG] (no subject)

Henry Pugsley henry.pugsley at gmail.com
Sun Jan 3 15:24:32 CST 2010

On Sat, Jan 2, 2010 at 7:27 PM, David Hayden <indubitableness at yahoo.com> wrote:

>   I made a few cron entries recently that were just completely ignored. I also had some trouble with limiting user account access. Stuff that I'm used to just working right away in slackware.

Where did you add these entries and how?  System crontab or
user-level?  Did you verify that the commands actually work in the
cron environment?  The most common error I see is that there are
environment variables (such as $PATH) set differently in cron so
commands do not behave the same way.  Check your syslog and see if
cron is throwing any errors.

>  Then there's this ssh thing. I always make keys and turn off passwords in my /etc/sshd_config so that only my laptop can ssh into any of the household systems. Sometimes ubuntu still prompts for passwords and allows a log in via ssh. Today I noticed it was working correctly but so far it's the first time ssh seems to obey the rules for this particular install.

Hopefully you mean /etc/ssh/sshd_config, modern systems organize their
configuration files a little differently.  Make sure you have the
following set in your sshd_config:

RSAAuthentication yes
PubkeyAuthentication yes
PasswordAuthentication no

I'm not sure if Slackware uses PAM in SSH these days, but that will
cause some different behavior than you're used to if it does not
(Debian/Ubuntu do).

Also check your public keys on your client side, make sure ~/.ssh is
chmod 700 and the keys inside are chmod 600, otherwise your ssh client
won't even try sending the keys and fallback to passwords.  Run ssh -v
when you connect to troubleshoot.

>   My personal boxes are Slackware and I just can't imagine any other distro appealing to me at this point. I'm far too comfortable with the Slackware way. For the mom, sister, and brother though it's got to be Ubuntu. They get windows dual boots but I discourage their use unless necessary.

Welcome to the 21st century!

>   I'm rambling now and I'm beginning to lose any real point. I'll leave off with this. They say that if you give a man ubuntu he learns ubuntu and if you give him Redhat he learns redhat, but should you give him slackware, he will learn Linux.
>
>   It's my absolute favorite and I heartily endorse it.

Last time I touched a Slackware box is when I converted it to Debian
because the previous admin botched a glibc upgrade.  Why someone was
messing with custom-compiled glibc on a production server is beyond
me, but oh well.  I started on Red Hat, switched to Debian in 1998 and
haven't looked back.  I have of course used other distributions
through work and friends, and they all have their little quirks, but
at the end of the day it's still Linux.  With Debian/Ubuntu you have
the option of being the lazy user who never looks under the hood, or
you can be the advanced user an tear it apart as easily as Slackware.
With Slackware you just don't get the option ;)

-Henry