[SATLUG] re: no subject heh

Herb Cee hc at lookcee.com
Sun Jan 3 15:25:48 CST 2010

Hay KC & David, Since you prefer top post I am. I thought I would just
comment on the Bundy distro (is that English enough?) U-8.04.  I started
off trying to get Redhat 7.2 working I even bought the install box when
it was on the shelves and while I did get it to finally boot up I never
really got it to running and then finally DSL was available to me in
rural E-TX and I started getting more interested in getting free of MS
and the troubles of spys, ad servers etc. and I got a copy of Fedora-X
and i was having lots of config probs and was very frustrated and about
then Dan G suggested that I might do better with Ubuntu and a frin sent
me a copy of U- 5.04. I have stayed with the silly names till I got to
8.04 and decided since it was LTS,  was doing all my work great, to stop
there. I have been grateful to Dan ever since and he has been of help to
many, bless his heart and the others on the list that are so generous
with their time.

I know nothing about Slackware altho I have tried out a few other
distros. I do not care for programming I am bad at language. I have some
sight problems with 79+old eyes and of course there is the problem of
remembering my name on waking much less code, so CLI jockey I ain't. I
have been reading all the post for 3yrs now and it seems to me that
struggling beginners like myself are better off using a well maintained
distro that has an update manager to watch over us, is way better. YAY
for Synaptic.

I guess it depends on the individuals needs. If one cannot find a distro
you like. You can DL LFS and build your own. That would be way deeper
than I really want to go so I will wait for April when the next U-10.04
is released and upgrade then. Until then I recommend trying a Bundy to
anyone who ask about Linux.

And then there is this: The term /fedora/ was in use as early as 1891.
Originally a women's fashion into the 20th century, the fedora came into
use in about 1919, as a men's middle-class clothing accessory. Its
popularity soared, and eventually it eclipsed the similar-looking
Homburg <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Homburg_%28hat%29> by the early
1920s. Fedoras can be found in nearly any color imaginable, but black,
grey, tan, brown, and red are the most popular. The word /fedora/ comes
from the title of an 1882 play by Victorien Sardou
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Victorien_Sardou>, Fédora
<http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=F%C3%A9dora&action=edit&redlink=1>,
written for Sarah Bernhardt
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sarah_Bernhardt>.^[2]
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fedora#cite_note-1> The play was first
performed in the U.S. in 1889. Bernhardt played Princess Fédora, the
heroine of the play, and she wore a hat similar to a fedora.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fedora

And this: /Fedora vs Ubuntu ...
http://www.google.com/search?q=fedora+vs+ubuntu&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=com.ubuntu:en-US:unofficial&client=firefox-a

And this: //Ubuntu vs Slackware/