[SATLUG] Re: Ubuntu 'Karmic Koala' 9.10 impressions? ... andIntroduction

Todd W. Bucy toddwbucy at grandecom.net
Mon Jan 4 07:28:45 CST 2010

Its important to remember that the normal releases of Ubuntu should
in-fact be considered very mature Beta releases.  This would include
releases 8.10 thru 9.10.  the last longterm support (LTS) release 8.04
is a much more stable and grounded release.  If you cannot tolerate
having beta quality software on you machine then I would suggest staying
with the LTS.

Personally 9.10 has been a pretty good release (much better then 8.10
was) but in my opinion the improvements over 9.04 have not been as
dramatic as the changes between 7.10 and 8.04.

My servers are running 8.04 LTS and I am indeed waiting with baited
breath for 10.04 as I now will have LTS support for my Mythbox and the
HVR-1600/1800 tv cards (which didn't receive support until 8.10).

If stable enough I may just stay with the next LTS on all of my machines.

Todd