[SATLUG] Re: Ubuntu 'Karmic Koala' 9.10 impressions? ... andIntroduction

Bruce Dubbs bruce.dubbs at gmail.com
Tue Jan 5 00:23:07 CST 2010

Tweeks wrote:
> On Monday 04 January 2010 01:43:20 am kcoriginal at yahoo.com wrote:
>> For me, KDE 4 stuck a fork in the whole K environment. Too dramatic.
>
> Yeah.. I set up with KDE4 on my MythTV box (running 9.10 IIRC).. but I just
> don't "Get it".  I'll need to either eventually get it.. or just run XFCE and
> load the needed KDE stuff so that I can continue using KMail...
>
> Any big "Pro KDE 4 Interface" weenies in herewho think they can convince me
> how great KDE 4 is? :)

I still use KDE3 which is Qt3 based.  I understand the motivation to
update to a Qt4 based system, but I don't see the need of changes to the
user interface.

If course I'm not a big gui user.  I really like konsole for a terminal,
and I like ksnapshot, but those are about all the KDE programs I use.

I don't really care for the Gnome look and feel.

The nice thing about building your own system is that you only upgrade
when you want to and what you want.  On my system, other tools like
mysql and apache are quite recent.

   -- Bruce