[SATLUG] Re: Ubuntu 'Karmic Koala' 9.10 impressions?... andIntroduction

kcoriginal at yahoo.com kcoriginal at yahoo.com
Tue Jan 5 02:21:18 CST 2010

Right Bruce, BUT...

I'm a high maintenance, long-term-support kinda guy when it comes to that damned "deprecated" word. GAWD I HATE THAT WORD!!!

Sorry, I digress...! (As usual...)

What I'm afraid of is that they will retire KDE3. I was still at the tail end of my "formative years," if you will, when I finally decided to throw myself into KDE3 only to find that BIZARRE trip it took a few months after I had declared my love for it... That's when I pulled a "safety" maneuver and wed my goose-heart to good ole Gnome. Just seemed like it was going to have the most staying power.

In the least, KDE4 has a totally ARTSY feel. Artsy = trendy = flaky = Not I. It does artsy VERY WELL, but I feel that it will drift out of style or morph into another monster. I'd rather morph more productive things into fresh new monsters...

Like a Linux home automation project, or CNC rig, I'm looking at clustering experiments and Scalix/Zimbra/OX/SunCommServer or just plain a nice gaming server with a nicely done and maintained blog/gamer site running on an old SPARC...

(WOOT!  XCSSA...  :-p  )

The interface should be a means to an end... Or how about a passing thought that works so well, I don't notice it..?

(Gosh, it IS pretty though, 4 is...)

kc

Sent via BlackBerry by AT&T