[SATLUG] Network+ Question

Alan Lesmerises alesmerises at satx.rr.com
Wed Jan 6 21:36:16 CST 2010

Borries Demeler wrote:
> That's another one...maintaining status quo! an administrator would never
> take the risk of exploring something new that may fail, since his job probably
> is a lot safer if he just sticks with mediocrity. So the most violent
> opposition will be mounted by those un-innovative IT heads that never learned
> anything besides MS and rely on it for everything, plus you can BUY an
> expensive commercial "supported solution" from some vendor, and the higher ups
> equate the $$$ spent with improved functionality.
Another BIG reason is the installed codebase.  The company I work for
has a very extensive, sophisticated, custom, in-house developed
Windows-based information management system front-end that they've spent
untold thousands of man-hours developing.  The company literally lives
and dies by this system -- it is the absolute essential core of
virtually every aspect of company operations.  Management would look at
the task to convert that system to another OS and they would have a
heart attack.  True, it would cost an enormous amount of time and money,
but they can't (or don't want to) see the payback -- it's too long for
their shareholders.  They want to see an ROI of just a couple of years
at most, and this would definitely not meet that criteria.

Yet another reason they don't want to change is that they see the costs
of retraining their entire workforce (well over 4000 people) as also
being too high.

But I think the biggest reason is uncertainty.  They don't know enough
about Linux, so they figure the risks are too great to even contemplate
switching.

Al Lesmerises