[SATLUG] Home Cloud?

Robert Pearson e2eiod at gmail.com
Thu Jan 7 07:47:42 CST 2010

On Tue, Dec 29, 2009 at 11:16 AM, Frank Huddleston <fhuddles at gmail.com> wrote:
> Greetings,
>
>  I'm wondering if there is such a thing as a "Home Cloud": that is,
> cloud-type computing for the home. I might not be using the correct
> terminology, but what I have in mind is kind of the opposite of
> virtualization, although not incompatible with it:
> with virtualization you can run many different types of hosts on one
> physical computer, but with what I have in mind, you'd run many computers
> "as one". Many of us gradually build a kind of elephant's graveyard of older
> computers: could they be yoked together to function something like the
> computing clouds?
> I've seem some things out there that look as though they might possibly deal
> with this kind of computing, like Swarm and Apache Hadoop, but I'm just
> mentioning names: I haven't really looked into them.
> The idea of using multiple computers as one is a really old one, and I know
> lots of things have been tried especially for large computational projects.
> I don't know about home or small business projects, however.
> I'd be interested to see what you all have to say about this: it's of some
> theoretical and practical interest to me.
>
> Regards,
>
> Frank Huddleston
>
> --

I found this article by James Gaskin. He has been writing for Network
World for years.
"Clouds Now Strong Enough To Support Your Business"
Add software and services without adding hardware
Small Business Tech By James E. Gaskin , Network World , 10/07/2009
<http://www.networkworld.com/columnists/2009/091007-gaskin.html>
[Article excerpt]
Technology makes life easier for small businesses, even if you can't
see that while cursing your personal computer for some problem or
another today. Not only have hardware costs dropped by an order of
magnitude over the past two decades, you can now run your business
quite well without any hardware beyond one laptop or netbook for every
employee. The fuzzily-named “cloud” can support your business without
any local hardware. And when you do want local hardware appliances,
they should be tied into the cloud as well for disaster recovery
support.

Let's define “cloud” as a hosted service leveraging hardware not in
your location. You can have a private cloud, as many large companies
do, by providing remote user services from a centralized but company
owned data center. Mainframes could be called the original cloud with
our definition, because few people were in the same location as their
computer.
[End excerpt]

This is not a detailed "how to" but a game plan (Strategy). How the
details are done is left to you.
I found this link on his web site under "Articles":
<http://www.gaskin.com/>