[SATLUG] Re: Ubuntu 'Karmic Koala' 9.10impressions?... andIntroduction

Don Davis dondavis at reglue.org
Fri Jan 8 06:45:02 CST 2010


kcoriginal at yahoo.com wrote:
> Yes, yes and I'm not sure. Ok, you say, it's 90% if you change the menubar and show the desktop. What is the other 10%, in your view? (I think the menu and desktop are all I miss, but I'm not sure...)
> 
Kaffeine is no longer the default video player. Dragon is. But that can 
be easily remedied. Some of the applets from KDE3 aren't available 
(and/or don't work) in KDE4. I miss the dictionary applet.

Using a projector (and or a second screen) no longer automatically 
appears as it's own instance with it's own desktop. If you want that 
setup you may need to go through nvidia (or whatever ATI has) or xorg 
directly. You can easily adjust the resolution and sizes. (I prefer the 
'this is a separate 800x600 desktop' to 'this desktop is the top left 
1/2 of the main desktop'.

KDE4 also no longer tries to run/configure everything through Konqueror 
(which I don't see as a bad thing).

You still add things to the startup/ menu / and taskbar in pretty much 
the same way.


More information about the SATLUG mailing list