[SATLUG] 3 reasons why I hate KDE4

Jeremy Mann jeremymann at gmail.com
Fri Jan 8 12:05:14 CST 2010

On Fri, Jan 8, 2010 at 12:00 PM, Todd W. Bucy <toddwbucy at grandecom.net> wrote:
> On second thought this should have its own thread sorry
>
> Todd
>>
>>  qualifier: most of my experience with kde4 is with Kubuntu 9.04-10 and
>> gnome with Ubuntu 9.04-10.
>>
>> reason 1: While there are definite improvements in certain aspects of the
>> aesthetics of KDE4 for the most I don't appreciate the aesthetics  I think
>> that the gnome compiz marriage is light-years ahead of plasma and kde4.
>>  Hell enlightenment (see the elive distro for a good show of this desktop)
>> blows away kde 4 in this department.
>> reason 2: Performance and stability...well mostly stability.  This is a
>> criticism that probably reflect upon Kubuntu as much as KDE4 but when i
>> first loaded Kubuntu 9.04 my xserver crashed so much that I had to double
>> check that I wasn't running Vista.

My 2 cents about performance. On older machines, the Desktop
environment is just way too slow. I have it on a 1.8Ghz laptop with a
gig of RAM, and Plasma is not snappy at all like KDE 3.5. Its even
worse if you turn on certain effects like shading and transparency.

>> reason 3: For me the jump from KDE3.5 to KDE4 was such a jarring
>> experience that I felt I was learning a whole new operating system from the
>> get go.  I think that the KDE4 and Kubuntu team could learn something from
>> M$ in one respect.  when changing the total look and feel of your GUI (as
>> with XP to Vista) don't change so much of it that your longtime users feel
>> like noobs all over again.

Yep, I too hate the new menu structure.

--
Jeremy Mann