[SATLUG] Home Cloud?

Daniel J. Givens daniel at rugmonster.org
Sat Jan 9 14:08:11 CST 2010

On 1/9/2010 1:41 PM, Frank Huddleston wrote:
> How do you handle the configuration of your own collection of computers?
> Do you just make sure that you replicate the information? Do you use
> some kind of directory service, and if so, what?

With most distros, you can do an automated, netboot installation. You
can even customize the configs so that you get some specifics for your
environment the first time the system boots.

While I haven't used it in a while, Puppet is a great tool for handling
system configs from a central location.

http://reductivelabs.com/trac/puppet/wiki/AboutPuppet

So, imagine your custom Kickstart that loads each node with the Puppet
client preconfigured to talk to a Puppet server. The Puppet server
pushes down the appropriate configs.

For centralized authentication, if you didn't want to use Puppet to
maintain your passwd, group, and shadow files, you could use LDAP. It's
generally considered to be the replacement for NIS. Again, not much that
you can get here that Puppet couldn't push out for you, but it's another
option.

So if "the cloud" is about rapid provisioning, I would say this would be
the best you could get in a home environment with physical nodes. I just
woke up a little bit ago, so I'm still fuzzy and someone else surely has
other ideas. (No kid this weekend, so I got to sleep really late!)