[SATLUG] message etiquette

Bruce Dubbs bruce.dubbs at gmail.com
Tue Jan 12 22:50:25 CST 2010

Tweeks wrote:
> On Monday 11 January 2010 12:42:28 am Bruce Dubbs wrote:
>> Tweeks wrote:
>>> On Sunday 10 January 2010 12:29:24 pm Bruce Dubbs wrote:
> [...]
>>> As another mailmail admin, I'll also tell you that SOME posts get
>>> filtered if they're too big (are treated as Spam) by many stock mailmail
>>> based lists.
>> Good idea!  We already delete most attachments.  I just lowered the size
>> limit to 7K.  That should bounce most of the longer messages.
>
> Hmm.. 7k is a bit restrictive man. I mean headers alone can easily be 3k-4k
> (your reply just now had a 3.7k header).  Regular email is about 2k per page.
> So figure a hard core in depth in-line reply might work out to 5-6 pages..
> that's like 18k.

Well I just looked at your message and it was 2862 bytes including
headers.  When I chose 7K, I looked at my messages and anything over
about 5K was substantially unedited replies.

> Traditionally... I find 40k a good default size.. More tends to either be spam
> or HTML email (both are evil).  If you want to get tight, 18-20k might be ok.
> Just tell people to let you know if their stuff isn't getting through.

Mailman should respond with a message that the file should be trimmed.
I didn't check though.  I'll go ahead and go to 12K.  That should be
plenty.  Mailman strips html and attachments.

Its a balancing act.  Different people have different attitudes.  Some
people don't care what they send to 468 subscribers.

> More strict than that and you'll be labled an email-nazi. ;)

Too late :)

   -- Bruce