[SATLUG] Meeting Thursday

Ernest De Leon edeleonjr at gmail.com
Wed Jan 13 11:26:14 CST 2010

I gave a presentation on cloud computing a few months ago, and while it
builds on many things in the past (going back to the 60s and 70s), there are
some crucial differences with respect to automation and orchestration within
the platform (and I use that term loosely). The more common problem in the
current IT industry is correctly wrapping their minds around the concept and
giving it a proper definition. Vendors have not helped in this area because
the broader the definition, the more easily their respective products fit
into the 'cloud computing' mantra. I call it 'cloud washing'.

The closest thing to true cloud computing is probably grid computing, but
that falls short in that it functions in batch jobs that have a specified
beginning and end. There may be some automation involved, but not much in
the way of orchestration. Cloud computing extends the grid computing model
significantly and gives some serious benefits to the end user. Again, the
end user has to be defined as well. Are you a cloud provider (who is
end-using the platform to resell)? Are you a large business (who is
end-using the platform to develop internal applications)? or Are you a SME
purchasing SaaS externally? Because there are several spots from which you
can provide and consume the platform, the definition gets pretty nebulous.

I like to tell people "It is probably easier to describe what cloud
computing is NOT, than what it is." With that in mind, cloud computing is
NOT virtualization (although it leverages virtualization internally.) Cloud
computing is NOT hardware (although it leverages hardware internally.)

Those two are pretty much agreed upon. The next one, however, is pretty
contentious. Cloud computing is NOT Infrastructure as a Service (Iaas)
(although it leverages IaaS internally.)

Cloud computing (depending on whether you are the provider or consumer)
begins at the Platform as a Service (Paas) layer and extends up into the
Software as a Service (SaaS) layer. Again, the definition will vary heavily
on where you sit in the pyramid. The key thing to remember is just because
you may use remote resources (whether it be infrastructure, platform or
software), that does not necessarily make it 'cloud computing.'

We then slide into the whole other mud pool that is public vs private vs
hybrid clouds, and we start to talk about federation. Whew! As you can see
this thing gets pretty hairy at some point. Either way, I'm interested to
hear Ben's take on the whole platform. I'll be at the meeting tomorrow,
hopefully with one of my newbies in tow. See you all tomorrow!