[SATLUG] Rain in SA, partly cloudy in DFW data center

Don Wright satlug at sbcglobal.net
Thu Jan 14 21:18:11 CST 2010

SATLUG thanks Benjamin Temple for tonight's brief overview and demo of
one segment of Cloud Computing. The Rackspace Cloud worked great,
provisioning a new Debian server in minutes, up until he tried to
actually use the new virtual machine.

<Imagine the Monty Python "Dead Parrot" sketch here.>

Billing said it was active. Ping and SSH said it was an ex-parrot. The
20 minute estimated wait for live chat support (and the total silence
that followed our first question after support's greeting appeared) said
we weren't the only ones banging our birds on the counter.

So far Infrastructure as a Service (IaaS) has a lot in common with The
Cheese Shop Sketch, too.  Better luck next B'ak'tun.  --Don

--
Migraine: All the fun of a hangover without the bother of
getting drunk.