[SATLUG] Re: Sound Issues

Herb Cee hc at lookcee.com
Sun Jan 17 17:31:02 CST 2010

Robert Pearson wrote:

>>> KDE uses the arts daemon which can be awkward. I haven't had problems with
>>> it in a while.
>>>
>>> What does
>>> artsshell status
>>> tell you?
>>>
>>> You might want to check this out:
>>>
>>> http://linux.derkeiler.com/Newsgroups/comp.os.linux.misc/2006-12/msg00463.html
>>> http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=3999
>>>

>>> If you want to kill sound with htop look for artsd.
>>>
>>> I would recommend scanning your xsession error logs and
>>> installing/reinstalling alsa-utils.
>>>

>> Thank you for the info.  I am going to save this message for later use.  I
>> became to frustrated to play with it any longer, so I sent back to FF
>> 2.0.0.23.  The only reason I changed to FF 3.* was because FF 2.* had issues
>> with the Facebook website. However, Facebook is at the very bottom of my
>> priorities/list of interests so going back to FF 2* was no big deal.
>>
>> I am sure that I (eventually) will have to switch back (notice I do NOT use
>> the term 'upgrade') to 3.*  When I do, I'll have your reply to refer to.
>>  Thanks again.
>>

>> --
>>

> Isn't this on a PCLinuxOS machine? Are you running 2009?
> How did you do your upgrades?
> It might be that some other packages need to be upgraded for FF 3.* to work.
> On the other hand some packages may have been upgraded that conflict
> with your audio chip.
>
> I have 3 PCLinuxOS machines and none of them has had any problems with
> FF and sound.
> The newest machine has all kinds of sound problems with multimedia
> like Flash and the video players on both Linux OS's. The problems are
> identical in both Linux OS's.
> The type of file seems to make more of a difference than the program playing it.
> This machiine has a Realtek ALC662 rev1 (digital) chip and dual boots
> Ubuntu 9.04 (previously 8.04, 8.10) and PCLinuxOS 2009. The sound does
> not work right on that machine for any Linux OS but does work fine
> with Windows. It has to do with the drivers. Linux is very late with
> drivers. I was advised the fix is to either download ALSA source and
> compile it all on the machine or buy a sound card for the PCI bus. I
> don't wish to do either.
>
> [Begin "Texstar" post]
> "Texstar", the guy who builds and releases PClinuxOS has a post on the
> Forum about how to do updates:
> How to properly update PCLinuxOS.
>
> Open Synaptic
> Press Reload  To get current file list
> Click Mark All Upgrades
> CLick Apply
>
> DO NOT USE apt-get update and apt-get upgrade from the command line.
> This has never been recommended. If you insist on using the command
> line, the correct procedure is apt-get update and apt-get
> dist-upgrade.  If for any reason the system says it is not able to
> retrieve a package do you wish to continue always say no, report it to
> the forum and try to update again later.
> [...]
Hey Michael, ol Herb chiming in, don't quit on it you have some really
helpful and knowledgeable dudes willing to help just cause they can
...so take a deep breath stop flailing and march on, I'm a creaky ol
dude and they keep me running. I only started 3yrs ago and every prob
that i failed on they have sorted me out. heck bro you can do anything
you want with this crew to guide ya.
Keep on keeping on
hh