[SATLUG] Home Cloud?

Frank Huddleston fhuddles at gmail.com
Tue Jan 19 11:59:05 CST 2010

Greetings,

  Again, I've just skimmed the material about the various things people
have mentioned. I'm not as interested in the standard network image
install: that's good for a start, but doesn't address ongoing
configuration and interoperability issues unless some other technology
is used.
Puppet looks really interesting and useful: not quite what I had in
mind, but that's OK,
because I didn't have anything very specific in mind, and it looks like
a useful open-source system administration technology.
Robert Pearson mentioned the late and lamented OpenMosix, and from the
short description:

openMosix is a Linux kernel extension for single-system image clustering. Taking n PC boxes, openMosix gives users and applications the illusion of one single computer with n CPUs. openMosix is perfectly scalable and adaptive.

Yes! That's more like it! Now, I don't know how well it actually worked, but it sounds good.
LDAP was mentioned, as it always is. I have looked into this some, but I think I'll launch another thread for this specifically.

By the way, it seems that Rackspace employs an expert in Hadoop, the Apache distributed computing system: Stu Hood.  He's even written an O'Reilly book: "Hadoop: The Definitive Guide".

Regards,

Frank Huddleston