[SATLUG] Home Cloud?

Robert Pearson e2eiod at gmail.com
Wed Jan 20 01:03:20 CST 2010

On Tue, Jan 19, 2010 at 11:59 AM, Frank Huddleston <fhuddles at gmail.com> wrote:
> Greetings,
>
>  Again, I've just skimmed the material about the various things people have
> mentioned. I'm not as interested in the standard network image install:
> that's good for a start, but doesn't address ongoing configuration and
> interoperability issues unless some other technology is used.
> Puppet looks really interesting and useful: not quite what I had in mind,
> but that's OK,
> because I didn't have anything very specific in mind, and it looks like a
> useful open-source system administration technology.
> Robert Pearson mentioned the late and lamented OpenMosix, and from the short
>
> openMosix is a Linux kernel extension for single-system image clustering.
> Taking n PC boxes, openMosix gives users and applications the illusion of
> one single computer with n CPUs. openMosix is perfectly scalable and
> adaptive.
>
> Yes! That's more like it! Now, I don't know how well it actually worked, but
> it sounds good.
> LDAP was mentioned, as it always is. I have looked into this some, but I
> think I'll launch another thread for this specifically.
>
> By the way, it seems that Rackspace employs an expert in Hadoop, the Apache
> distributed computing system: Stu Hood.  He's even written an O'Reilly book:
> "Hadoop: The Definitive Guide".
> Regards,
>
> Frank Huddleston
>
> --

If you are interested in briefly walking down the openMosix History
Lane do this:
Open a Google search window
Type in this search string without the quotes "openMosix
site:satlug.org/pipermail/satlug/"
This search string produced 54 hits for me.
Some of them look pretty interesting at first.
Then, when you realize you are talking about a dead horse, they don't
look so interesting anymore.
Let's deal with the living. The dead have earned their rest.

The living would be Hadoop and Cloud Computing. Not the same thing.
Neither are Cloud and Home Cloud.
Clouds are at least one level of abstraction above Hadoop, IMHO, YMMV.
The closest link would be that Hadoop can be run in a Cloud at the
"Platform as a Service (PaaS)" level to deliver distributed
applications to people who need that. Other parts of the Cloud would
deliver "Software as a Service (SaaS)" for a whole bunch of other
feature/functions like Storage, Backups, Apps (Hadoop would be one App
delivered).
According to Wikipedia that is what people are doing.
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hadoop>
Cloud Computing
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cloud_computing>

Don't let that discourage you.
Outside of the IDCs (Internet Data Centers) I have had trouble finding
out what people are doing for Clouds
Only the "BIG BOYS" seem to have the "bucks" to hire the talent to
write the software and buy the masses of equipment.
Keep digging until you find something you can sink your teeth into.
That's what I love about computing. You can never learn all of it and
there is always something new coming along. I learn something every
day.

The goal of a Cloud is not to integrate vast quantities of dissimilar
and seemingly unrelated hardware but to concentrate "Computing Power
On Demand (remember Cluster on Demand [CoD])" at will and "Just In
Time (JIT)".
Remember Grid Computing? The future may well be a "Grid" of Clouds.
Makes sense to me...

Another key differentiating factor between Clusters, Cluster on
Demand, Hadoop and Cloud is external rather than internal.
Many PaaS and SaaS feature/functions are being outsourced even for
private companies. This has led to very interesting Security needs for
Clouds.

If you are really interested in Clouds the Werner Vogels blog (CTO
Amazon) "All Things Distributed" is a "MUST" read;
<http://www.allthingsdistributed.com/>
There are long pauses between his postings. He is a very busy guy but
the posts are "pure Cloud gold".
[Caveat] Amazon is one way of doing a Cloud. Other people do it
differently. Google for one. I happen to like Werner's way of making
Clouds.

For a "Cloud within a Storage Cloud" I recommend Hu Yoshida of HDS's
(Hitachi Data Systems) blog. Hu is talking about Clouds within the
Storage Cloud. Hu is a busy guy so there are long gaps in his posts.
Werner uses Hu concepts to "Storage up" Amazon's Clouds. He may not,
like Google, use HDS Storage.
<http://blogs.hds.com/hu/>

Clouds are still too big to capture in the Home or SOHO. Some day...
remember SuperComputing?

HTH, YMMV