[SATLUG] Possible Future Presentation

Robert Pearson e2eiod at gmail.com
Wed Jan 20 22:16:08 CST 2010

On Wed, Jan 20, 2010 at 4:51 PM, Doug <ftm at satx.rr.com> wrote:
> I know there is some estoric concern and curiousity abut cloud computing,
> however, I doubt the average user is really interested.
>
> What I would like to see is a presentaton and how to do it for "Software as
> a service"  An area where there is a lot of interest, and a very limited
> availability.  I would like to find out how to offer this service locally
> and have the servers and computing power and connectivity to do it, if I
> only knew how to set it up.  I wonder if there are others on here in It who
> would like to learn more about thi svery under-utilized service.
>

> --

Here is a slide presentation that might help focus questions for the meeting:
"Saas And Cloud Computing for the Public Sector"
<http://www.slideshare.net/rosscooney/saas-and-cloud-computing-for-the-public-sector>
The key words above are "Public Sector" The Public Sector is the
largest market by far for "make a profit" Cloud Computing companies.
We will not hear much about "Private Sector" Cloud Computing like
Department of Defense (DOD) and others.

Two related short, to the point posts:
"Defining SaaS, PaaS, IaaS, etc"
<http://cloudfeed.net/2008/06/03/defining-saas-paas-iaas-etc/>
"The Rise of Cloud Platforms and Why the OS Doesn’t Matter"
<http://cloudfeed.net/2008/08/28/the-rise-of-cloud-platforms-and-why-the-os-doesnt-matter/>
These are similar to Ernest de Leon's posts and are for other points of view.

I read Ernest de Leon's posts with great interest. They are excellent.
More to the point, Ernest can bring great technical detail to each
level. Someting that is lacking in most of the overview posts. I read
this post first and followed the links to other posts for a clear
picture:
"Orchestration and Life Cycle Management bring true value to Cloud Computing"
<http://www.siliconewhisperer.com/index.php/2009/12/15/orchestration-and-life-cycle-management-bring-true-value-to-cloud-computing/>

The driving force behind Cloud Computing success is the Business Model - SaaS.
To my great regret previous attempts like InfiniBand (IaaS), ILM
(PaaS) and SOA (SaaS) (and possibly ITIL, ITSM (SaaS)) have been
abandoned.
 SATLUG is a very technical organization and Ernest looks like a good
bet to deliver what highly technical people need and want to hear
about Cloud Computing.

Cloud Computing is not for everyone...

IMHO, YMMV