[SATLUG] Disappearing CD Icon

Arthur Hall art.hall at sbcglobal.net
Sat Jan 23 22:39:08 CST 2010

I have a PC loaded with Ubuntu 9.10, including the latest files from Update Manager.  It's working just fine and all ready to go to a refugee family EXCEPT the CD icon disappears when you insert a CD.  Makes it very hard to play music CDs (or any other kind) which most of these families like to do.  The icon returns as soon as the CD is ejected.  Tried the ultimate resource, Google, but it has lots of reports citing the problem and precious little sound advice (pardon the pun) on how to solve it.  I could use some solid solutions from local sources.  Thanks in advance.
Art