[SATLUG] Disappearing CD Icon

Howard Haradon hharadon at gmail.com
Sun Jan 24 08:59:07 CST 2010

On Sat, Jan 23, 2010 at 10:39 PM, Arthur Hall <art.hall at sbcglobal.net> wrote:
> I have a PC loaded with Ubuntu 9.10, including the latest files from Update Manager.  It's working just fine and all ready to go to a refugee family EXCEPT the CD icon disappears when you insert a CD.  Makes it very hard to play music CDs (or any other kind) which most of these families like to do.  The icon returns as soon as the CD is ejected.  Tried the ultimate resource, Google, but it has lots of reports citing the problem and precious little sound advice (pardon the pun) on how to solve it.  I could use some solid solutions from local sources.  Thanks in advance.
> Art

Hi Art,  Here are some things to work on until
someone who really knows the answer can post.

What is the identity of the cdrom device?

What happens when you try to mount from the command line
with:
mount /media/cdrom0

Look at your /etc/fstab file.  It should have a line
for the cdrom.  Something like:

/dev/scd0       /media/cdrom0   udf,iso9660 user,noauto,exec,utf8 0       0

Post again with what the results of this.

HH
--
Howard Haradon
San Antonio, TX  USA