[SATLUG] SOHO LDAP

Frank Huddleston fhuddles at gmail.com
Sun Jan 24 14:15:55 CST 2010

Greetings,

   Has anyone here  implemented a multi-computer configuration using
LDAP? If so, I'd like to hear about it.
I remember about 1999-2000, Novell was sellling a kind of LDAP
application that would do pretty much what the MS Active Directory does,
but with a more eclectic set of clients. I don't know what happened to
that: do any of you?
I think I heard that Red Hat might also have some kind of application
like that, and of course there is Active Directory, but that does
require MS computers
to run it, and I don't know how well it works with non-MS clients.
  I think Apple's OS X server uses some kind of LDAP directory, but,
being OS X Server, is rather expensive, and expected to run on a Mac.
A few years ago, I tried something that was called the "NetInfo Bridge",
which was an application that was designed to allow interoperability
between the OS X NetInfo, which is (or was?) some kind of quasi-LDAP
system, and LDAP, in this case Open LDAP, I think. I had compilation or
installation problems with my version of
OS X, which by then I think was not the latest, and I think the NetInfo
had changed some between the OS X releases. I messed with it for a
while, then went on to other things, as so often happens.

So, I often hear people suggest using LDAP when I ask these
multi-computer configuration and management issues, but now I'm asking:
have any of you actually implemented such a thing, and if so, please
tell me/us about it.

Thanks,

Frank Huddleston