[SATLUG] Apple announces iPad

KC kcoriginal at yahoo.com
Wed Jan 27 21:39:26 CST 2010

--- On Wed, 1/27/10, Daniel J. Givens <daniel at rugmonster.org> wrote:

> From: Daniel J. Givens <daniel at rugmonster.org>
> Subject: Re: [SATLUG] Apple announces iPad
> Date: Wednesday, January 27, 2010, 8:46 PM
> On 1/27/2010 8:25 PM, Nate wrote:
> > On 1/27/10 7:08 PM, redpill wrote:
> >> yeah it looks nice but if you really want to
> impress me Jobs give me
> >> e-paper ala Caprica http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kU4P6Z_Q_NM
> >
> > +1 on this. I would much rather see color e-paper than
> another LCD device.
> >
> > And how is this "utterly game changing?" Tablets have
> been around for a
> > while. It's just a big iPod Touch.
>
> Tablets that came before were laptops with swivel screens.
> They were heavy and bulky by comparison. There wasn't ever
> an OS that was tailored to being a tablet like this blown up
> iPod Touch.
>
> And as an iPhone owner, I can say that while the web
> experience is better than other mobile devices, it doesn't
> match what even my netbook can provide. The screen is just
> too small. Reading ebooks on it also sucks. If nothing else,
> I would say the iPad will fill the gap between iPhone/iPod
> Touch and laptop.
>
> Their major flaw is the lacking of multitasking. That is
> utter fail.
> manage/unsubscribe

Oooo... I hadn't caught that multitasking part... -1 but the score is like in the 20's somewhere... still a big "Buy" rating for me. I can only read one eBook at a time. Can it have a browser and PDF open at once? That's all I need... maybe an MP3 as well...

Oh, and I have ZERO intention of buying a book from Steve. I'm reading TLDP docs and Project Gutenberg stuff... If I can't load a non-Steve book reader for .PDFs .djvu .txt .whatever else.. then THAT'S the great Steve Job's fa@@0+ a$$ catch I didn't see... but I don't think it's the case... either way... the Slate-style computer for light computing is what I've been waiting for since the hp - TC 1100 ALMOST did it for me... If there's a reason to not buy the iPad, I'm still buying the Slate.

You fuddy duddies... if I weren't a hetero, woman-lovin', garage-full-of-man-tools, son of a Jack-of-All-Trades, I'd call you stubborn sissies cutie pies!

:-P   That's a big fat tongue out...! hee hee

Lighten up fellas, geez! Take Jobs idea and JAILBEAK it! Hack it, or something! Don't just clam up and harumph it... that's just silly...