[SATLUG] stupid WAP question

travis+ml-satlug at subspacefield.org travis+ml-satlug at subspacefield.org
Thu Jul 1 16:53:56 CDT 2010

Hey all, so I have weird WAP problems I want to solve.

Basically, these WLANs are going to be on seperate legs of my firewall.

That is, I have no need for the WAP's built in firewall.

A couple of questions:

1) Which firmware (tomato, dd-wrt, openwrt) do you recommend and why?

Currently I have dd-wrt and openwrt I think, on two WAPs.

2) Is there a way to have WLAN traffic NOT go through firewall
   when traversing to a wired port?

   Basically I just want a box that bridges the WLAN and the link to my
   firewall.

   I want to be able to have two-way traffic from the firewall to wifi clients,
   and from clients to firewall (and out to internet).

   I also want to be able to manage WAP from the firewall link (my LAN is
   connected to the firewall, not directly to WAP).

3) Related to 2, is there a way to have it not go through NAT,
   so that the firewall sees the real IPs, and not the WAN IP of the WAP?

This would all be so much easier if I had a Linux shell and not some stupid GUI.

Thanks much!  I've spent 8+ hours on this with no luck.
A Weapon of Mass Construction