[SATLUG] kubuntu netbook wireless problems (in network-manager)

travis+ml-satlug at subspacefield.org travis+ml-satlug at subspacefield.org
Fri Jul 2 16:38:21 CDT 2010

Anyone get this crud to work?

It worked at first, but now I can never get wireless enabled in
network-manager, no matter what gyrations I go through (editing
state file, powering off, NM up or down, sudo ifconfig wlan0 up,
whatever).  I can't even see any wireless networks when I scan
- it's like it somehow persistently disabled my wlan card.

I also cannot figure out how to do it "raw" with iwconfig - you can
set a key, but where do you set WPA2 PSK-AES vs WEP vs GOATSE?

My netbook is just a crummy desktop until I can get this figured out.

This, and network-manager's insistence on overwriting
/etc/resolv.conf, may be the most annoying Ubuntu problem I've ever
had.
--
A Weapon of Mass Construction