[SATLUG] kubuntu netbook wireless problems (in network-manager)

mark mayfield_mark at att.net
Sat Jul 3 11:15:48 CDT 2010

I hate wireless switches. I think they are the worst thing ever, like
I'm not capable of enabling and disabling it myself in the operating
system. I have had some difficulties with them in Linux. I had one that
was working in a dual boot system that would occasionally stop working.
When it stopped working I had to boot into Windoze to re-enable it. I
tried lots of things to enable in Linux but nothing worked.

one the command line you use iwconfig for wireless connections but wpa
is a pain. I don't know all the details but you use wpa_supplicant

On Fri, 2010-07-02 at 19:49 -0500, Othniel Graichen wrote:
> Sure sounds like you have a Wifi switch on your notebook and you switched it
> off.
>
> I have a slider switch with 3 positions only two of which you can leave it
> in.
>
> 1.  Off
> 2. On
> 3. Activate (Kick it)
>
> When released 3 reverts to 2.
>
> Look for this on your notebook.  Explains why it did work and doesnt now and
> why nothing can see it.
>
> Let me know if this doesnt help.
>
> omg
>
> On Fri, Jul 2, 2010 at 4:38 PM,
> <travis+ml-satlug at subspacefield.org<travis%2Bml-satlug at subspacefield.org>
> > wrote:
>
> > Anyone get this crud to work?
> >
> > It worked at first, but now I can never get wireless enabled in
> > network-manager, no matter what gyrations I go through (editing
> > state file, powering off, NM up or down, sudo ifconfig wlan0 up,
> > whatever).  I can't even see any wireless networks when I scan
> > - it's like it somehow persistently disabled my wlan card.
> >
> > I also cannot figure out how to do it "raw" with iwconfig - you can
> > set a key, but where do you set WPA2 PSK-AES vs WEP vs GOATSE?
> >
> > My netbook is just a crummy desktop until I can get this figured out.
> >
> > This, and network-manager's insistence on overwriting
> > /etc/resolv.conf, may be the most annoying Ubuntu problem I've ever
> > had.
> > --
> > A Weapon of Mass Construction
> > My emails do not have attachments; it's a digital signature that your mail
> > program doesn't understand. | http://www.subspacefield.org/~travis/<http://www.subspacefield.org/%7Etravis/>
> > If you are a spammer, please email john at subspacefield.org to get
> > blacklisted.
> > --