[SATLUG] Re: My text to speech software for Linux

Christopher Lemire christopher.lemire at gmail.com
Mon Jul 5 16:26:43 CDT 2010

On Sun, Jul 4, 2010 at 5:50 PM, Christopher Lemire <
christopher.lemire at gmail.com> wrote:

> Please have a look at it here on my blog and feedback through here or the
> blog is much appreciated.
>
> http://linuxinnovations.blogspot.com/2010/07/my-text-to-speech-app.html
>
> --
> Christopher Lemire <christopher.lemire at gmail.com>
> Ubuntu 64 bit Linux Raid Level 0

Here is a sneak preview of the software I am writing. If you knew how this
work internally, it's very cool. What it does is reads text out loud from
any application. There's no need to open files in it, though that option
will still be there. Anything you can highlight text in, such as email or an
article you found interesting in Firefox, an ebook in pdf format, etc, can
be read. When Selection Buffer is selected, the text is read immediately
after you let go of the mouse after highlighting some text. When clipboard
is selected, it will read after you do you copy some text. The GUI (Graphics
User Interface) is meant to be minimal size so that it can hover above other
windows while you are using it to read text. It can expand and retract from
a full GUI  to a mini GUI. I do want to make a deb package of it. It does
require certain dependencies such as either sun java or openjdk (either will
work) and libmiglayout-java from the repos (I love MigLayout). Many more
features are planned to be implemented including the choice between good
voices to use. The forward and back buttons will go back and forward through
what you are reading while it is reading one sentence token at a time. Have
you ever read something to find out it didn't stick and you need to read it
again? That problem is solved here through software :) Just hit the back
button as many times as needed to go back some sentences and begin reading
from there. This software will not be available for the Gates of Hell aka
Windoze :)

Take a look here.

http://linuxinnovations.blogspot.com/2010/07/my-text-to-speech-app.html

Ubuntu 64 bit Linux Raid Level 0

gpg --recv-keys E13B0909

Key fingerprint = 3E1A 9103 EF3D 4885 6866  E9DE C69F 18B3 E13B 0909