[SATLUG] Personal RAID 6 array/ LED Monitor

redpill toddwbucy at grandecom.net
Mon Jul 5 22:36:27 CDT 2010

On Mon, 2010-07-05 at 14:33 -0700, dondavis at reglue.org wrote:
> I've been thinking about getting a raid 6 array to save my personal data.
> I am considering a 3M card.

I use a dell Perc 5/i. if your paitent you can find them on ebay for
around 100-150.  make sure you get the sas to sata cables though they
can be hard to find.  supports up to eight drives and can do a raid 50
but no raid 6.

> What do you think about personal use of RAID 6? is it overkill? Should I
> just use RAID 0 and call it a day?

I only run a raid 0 on my wintendo never for a production machine.  I
usually stick with raid 5 myself as I like the balance between drive
capacity and redundancy

> Additionally, I'd like to get a new mother board (ram and processor),
> case, and monitor to go with it. Suggestions?

If you can afford it go for the core i7 for a single socket board.  If
your looking for more then one socket get ready to dish out the clams.

Todd