[SATLUG] Android, was Ubuntu and iPhone

travis+ml-satlug at subspacefield.org travis+ml-satlug at subspacefield.org
Tue Jul 20 22:15:15 CDT 2010

BTW, I did an analysis of Android... here are the links I found:

http://www.subspacefield.org/~travis/android.html

Better architecture, more open marketplace, better Linux support -
likely to beat iPhone out in the long term unless iPhone goes with an
easier-to-use dev environment.  I hear the UI is not up to iPhone
standards, but it'll get better.

You don't actually need an Android to develop for it - the emulator
runs ARM binaries just like a phone.  You won't have WIFI or bluetooth
or any other hardware, but basic apps are easy to develop.  I'd never
written java before and had an app working in a day or two.

By contrast, iPhone requires learning Cocoa and Objective-C, and
buying some Apple hardware to develop on (I think).

Binder is weird though.
--
A Weapon of Mass Construction