[SATLUG] Linux Keylogger

John Kirby johnrkirby at gmail.com
Sat Jul 24 12:17:44 CDT 2010

I have a "tween" daughter, and I'm concerned about some of the websites
she's frequenting. Particularly "Whirled", which is a social networking site
designed for kids her age (and which would seem to me to be a natural
hangout for unsavory types). The biggest problem is that it has an embedded
chat feature, and doesn't appear the keep logs of those chats anywhere.

I made it clear to her when I bought her first computer that she has very
little expectation of privacy while online. I do the normal stuff on a
fairly regular basis- walk in at random times while she's online and read
over her shoulder, check her history, etc., but not being able to see her
chats has me scratching my head. I decided to install LKL for a couple of
weeks- if I see she's doing nothing unsavory, I'll remove it.

The problem is, I can't seem to get it working. Have any of you used this
program before? Any hints or tricks? I followed the instructions from here,
with no luck. <http://webnesbay.com/linux-keylogger-in-ubuntu/> It's just
not creating logs.

It's on Ubuntu 10.04.

Thanks,