[SATLUG] script for USB device (not a drive)/ scp autocompletion

dubose at texas.net dubose at texas.net
Sun Jul 25 02:19:45 CDT 2010

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/589841/upstart-calling-script-for-inserted-usb-drive

> > Todd
> >
> > On Sat, 2010-07-24 at 09:06 -0500, Don Davis wrote:
> >> I wasn't hoping that for the script I wouldn't need to poll dmesg every
> >> 2 seconds. Is there another way?
> >>
> >> The output is of dmesg is:
> >> [702299.440052] usb 1-8: new high speed USB device using ehci_hcd and
> >> address 13
> >> [702299.575711] usb 1-8: New USB device found, idVendor=04a9,
> idProduct=3145
> >> [702299.575720] usb 1-8: New USB device strings: Mfr=1, Product=2,
> >> SerialNumber=0
> >> [702299.575726] usb 1-8: Product: Canon Digital Camera
> >> [702299.575730] usb 1-8: Manufacturer: Canon Inc.
> >> [702299.575949] usb 1-8: configuration #1 chosen from 1 choice

> camera.

Along the same lines, can anyone help me?

Reference URL      <A href="http://home.comcast.net/~hteller/interface.htm"
target="_blank">http://home.comcast.net/~hteller/interface.htm

This "interface is designed to use an RS-232 port; however, none of my
computers have an RS-232 port.  I have a USB to RS-232 adapter; but, how do I
let my computer/software know which USB that is going to have the adapter
plugged into it?

The following id from the article in the July QST addressing the procedure for
identifying the port fot Windows...but how do I do that for LInux?

If a USB/Serial cable is used, first run the setup program for your operating
system on the CD supplied with the cable. Then go to Control Panel in Windows,
then to System, Hardware Tab, Device Manager, and click on the "+" sign to
expand the selection by "Ports". If the USB-Serial cable is working properly,
Windows will indicate which comport is assigned to the cable and identify it
as "USB".

Use that comport number to set the comport in the software. Now put the
software into transmit and check to see if the LED is lit. If that is working
OK, check that audio is being sent to the transceiver microphone or accessory
connector for transmit. If using VOX instead of a serial port for
push-to-talk, be sure to mute both Line and Microphone on the Windows Volume
Control panel (but not on the Windows Recording Control panel) and initially
slide both Volume and WAVE sliders all the way up to be sure enough audio is
being sent to the transceiver.

Under actual use, reduce the Volume and WAVE sliders together until the power
output decreases to half of the maximum when idling in PSK31. Further
adjustment can be made to obtain the desired power output, which, for the
cleanest signal, is usually between 1/4 and 1/3 of the maximum rated power of
the transceiver. Set the microphone gain of the transceiver to the usual
setting for using a microphone.

Walt

PS, sorry if there are lots of typing mistakes; but, I had cataract surgey
Wednesday and can use my glasses any more...not for 4-6 weeks after my next
operation that won't be for another 4-6 weeks.