[SATLUG] OT: Network card

Ernest De Leon edeleonjr at gmail.com
Wed Jul 28 09:35:12 CDT 2010

It is a (roughly) half size bracket as compared to the typical full size
card bracket that mounts to the rear of a computer case. These cards (and
brackets) are common on most small form factor (SFF) pcs sold from just
about every manufacturer. Think if the thin case Dell Optiplex machines and
such. You can't fit a full size bracket on the back of those, much less a
full size card when you have so many other components smashed into such a
small space. These brackets are also common on 2U servers because you are
limited in vertical space (assuming they mount vertically.) In order to get
a full size card (and bracket) in a server, you would need a daughter card
that bends 90 degrees from the normal perpendicular socket on the mobo.

Ernest