[SATLUG] groupware

Daniel J. Givens daniel at rugmonster.org
Sat Jul 31 02:36:12 CDT 2010

On Jul 30, 2010, at 14:33, "Todd W. Bucy" <r3d91ll at grandecom.net> wrote:

> need help finding a groupware package and I need some informed
>        opinions..here is what I am trying to do...
>        1. want to retrieve my email from my ISP and google accounts and
>        serve
>        those emails to my own private web page.  should also be able to
>        send
>        emails using my ISP and google accounts.  I dont want to hassel
>        with MX
>        records.  I just want to be able to consolidate all of my
>        family's email
>        accounts into one web interface through my own server

fetchmail to pull the messages in and proper smarthost config in your MTA (Postfix, Sendmail, Qmail *puke*) to send mail destined for remote hosts through.

>        2. want it to use LDAP

In what way do you want it to use LDAP? Authentication? Storing your contacts' info? If it's just auth AND you're already using LDAP for system auth as well AND you are doing the standard system user == mail user setup, then there's not much more to it than enable SASL. That's done for you by most default package sets (postfix+dovecot, for example).

>        3. Must have a calendar and contact functionality.

It sounds more like you want a webmail setup that, on the backend uses fetchmail to retrieve your mail, and has an integrated calendar. That is unless you want to have shared calendars and such.

Zimbra is the best Exchange replacement that I know of. There's Horde... the stinking pile of crap it is. Squirrelmail may have a calendar add-on. Roundcube may even have a calendar add-on. Both Horde and Squirrelmail are glorified IMAP clients, so the auth for those is dependent on your IMAP service.

Zimbra handles all of the integration pieces for you, but it is probably overkill for what it sounds like you want to do.

Next, obvious question. Any reason Google Apps or another hosted solution wouldn't work? After all, Gmail can retrieve mail from other servers and would be a heck of a lot easier to setup and maintain. It also has the integrated calendar and contacts. I run my own mail server and I have my reasons for that, but it isn't something I recommend everyone do.

--
Daniel