[SATLUG] Jail Breaking is now Fair Use

John Champion satlugacct at jchampion.com
Sat Jul 31 11:32:32 CDT 2010

On Sat, Jul 31, 2010 at 10:30 AM, Geoff <geofff at w5omr.shacknet.nu> wrote:

> redpill wrote:
> >

> >> In case anyone did hear it yet, but the courts decided it was Fair Use
> >> to modify the things you own as long as you are not breaking copyright
> >> laws:
> >>
> http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/news/2010/07/apple-loses-big-in-drm-ruling-jailbreaks-are-fair-use.ars
> >>
> >> Good to see some common sense prevailing.
> >>
> >> We should probably have a Jail Break get together, I've got an ipod
> >> touch that could use it
>
> has anyone ever jajil-break'ed [sic] (performed a 'jail-break')  an
> Android HTC Evo (Sprint 4G)?
>
> I like it - it runs linux, and does lots and lots (and lots more) of
> stuff... but I can't figure out how to get to the command line prompt in
> it.
>
> On a related topic: what is Froyo?  Still kinda knew to the whole
> 'smart-phone' experience...

Here are the caveats about "rooting" your cellphone---

1) Froyo is version 2.2 of the Android OS. If you root your phone and this
upgrade is successfully pushed to it, you may lose root and your ability to
root it.
2) The handset manufacturer nor anyone has an obligation to uphold their
warranty on their product should you modify it via 'rooting' it.
3) When you root a handset, you are taking control of your handset and
assuming all responsibility for any damage or benefits from these efforts.
4) Regardless of the court's findings each manufacturer and service provider
can enforce their own policies regarding rooting because while I think
Sprint crossed a line by limitiing functionality of my Evo, I am violating
the terms of my contract if I disable features of the phone designed to
generate revenue for Sprint.

Just my  2¢