[SATLUG] Jail Breaking is now Fair Use

David Kowis dkowis at shlrm.org
Sat Jul 31 11:38:28 CDT 2010

On 07/31/2010 10:30 AM, Geoff wrote:
> redpill wrote:
>>

>>> In case anyone did hear it yet, but the courts decided it was Fair Use
>>> to modify the things you own as long as you are not breaking copyright
>>> laws:
>>> http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/news/2010/07/apple-loses-big-in-drm-ruling-jailbreaks-are-fair-use.ars
>>>
>>> Good to see some common sense prevailing.
>>>
>>> We should probably have a Jail Break get together, I've got an ipod
>>> touch that could use it
>
> has anyone ever jajil-break'ed [sic] (performed a 'jail-break')  an
> Android HTC Evo (Sprint 4G)?

I have an Evo and it's rooted.

http://geekfor.me/

This has a build and links to instructions on how to root your Evo. It
was reasonably painless for me. No more difficult than it was when I did
the G1.

the Cyanogenmod team is planning on releasing a build for the Evo.
they've even got a Release Candidate, but it doesn't support wimax and a
few other things, but it'll get there eventually.

David