[SATLUG] Jail Breaking is now Fair Use

David Kowis dkowis at shlrm.org
Sat Jul 31 11:41:48 CDT 2010

On 07/31/2010 11:32 AM, John Champion wrote:
> Here are the caveats about "rooting" your cellphone---
>
> 1) Froyo is version 2.2 of the Android OS. If you root your phone and this
> upgrade is successfully pushed to it, you may lose root and your ability to
> root it.

Most custom OS disable the automatic upgrades being pushed to your
phone. Also if you've installed a custom recovery, this isn't possible.
You will always be able to restore a prior version, or flash your own
version.

> 2) The handset manufacturer nor anyone has an obligation to uphold their
> warranty on their product should you modify it via 'rooting' it.

I've found that not to be so much of an issue. They won't help you with
software stuff, but if your screen cracks, I don't see any problems
getting that replaced.

> 3) When you root a handset, you are taking control of your handset and
> assuming all responsibility for any damage or benefits from these efforts.

Yep.

> 4) Regardless of the court's findings each manufacturer and service provider
> can enforce their own policies regarding rooting because while I think
> Sprint crossed a line by limitiing functionality of my Evo, I am violating
> the terms of my contract if I disable features of the phone designed to
> generate revenue for Sprint.

I don't think you are violating contract terms. Even sprint admits that
there will be, for example, tethering applications that come from the
market, but only sprints is supported and superior. (almost quoting
their page)

You're not violating terms of service by finding a different way other
than sprints application to do tethering. There's nothing in there that
says you cannot, only if you want their application, you have to pay the
$30 a month. I think they're hoping that most people are more willing to
pay for that service than bother with the rooting.

Also my $0.02,
David