[SATLUG] Revision Control Question

Daniel J. Givens daniel at rugmonster.org
Tue Jun 1 09:36:28 CDT 2010

On May 31, 2010, at 17:51, Benjamin Temple
<temple_benjamin at hotmail.com> wrote:

> I have taken up C++ development as my newest computer-related hobby.
> I feel as if having a revision control system would greatly simplify
> my software development. How would I set something up (CVS, git,
> whatever) on a Rackspace Cloud instance?

Each version control utility has it's own set of features and quirks.
I prefer bzr and subversion, while others like git and mercurial.
Subversion offers the easiest WebDAV remote access with an Apache
module. All the modern ones can be accessed via SSH. Of course, if
you're using it locally, then that doesn't matter.

I recommend trying them out and seeing which one you prefer. Most of
the advanced features won't be used if it's just going to be you
working on things, so you probably won't see much difference in them.
The thing you have to remember about using any RCS is that you have to
be diligent about your commits or else it won't do you any good. No
RCS that I'm aware of automatically tracks every change you make.

--
Daniel